I had essentially the same symptoms with an Adaptec 2840 (I believe
that is the correct model number).  I did try a kernel compiled with
only the AIC7XXX SCSI support and had no change in symptom.

I tried the 1.3.1 disks and the hamm disks (the aic7xxx only kernel
disk was tried only with the hamm installation attempt).  I did this
only over a weekend as the machine was needed for a Wind-blows task
and was unable to pursue the problem any further.  I did try several
different hd's ranging from a very old Micropolis, only slightly
newer CDC, a reasonably new quantum, to a brand new Maxtor.  Again,
with no change in symptoms.

Since Bob's experience is almost identical to mine, I see some
'comfort' in the idea that there probably IS a solution besides
replacing the scsi host adapter!

[snip]

--
best,