>> > How do you change a users group assignments without manually editing the
>> > passwd and group  and also shadowed files.
>> use vipw for editting your password file and vigr for the group file.

>Which is just the same as manually editing them. Is there a good
>reason to use vipw, instead of just "vi /etc/passwd"?

only if something goes wrong :)  I forget exactly what it is, but vipw does
some checking before saving the file, preventing some types of dumb mistakes.

Also, if you have shadow passwords, directly editing /etc/passwd can give
strange results.  iirc, i actually had different passwords in single user mode
and multiuser after that . . . . it took days and some help to figure out what
was going on.

rick

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.