I have read the documentation on fvwm95 and on FvwmButtons but I am
still at a loss to decide how I would override definitions of buttons
in
                   /etc/X11/fvwm95/system.fvwm95rc

What I would like to do is to use rclock rather than xclock for one of
the buttons.  (rclock can be configured to alert you to incoming mail
so a single window can do double duty of displaying the clock and an
xbiff-like indicator of incoming mail.)

If I add the lines

*DebianFvwm95Buttons(Title rclock, Icon clock.xpm, \
             Swallow(UseOld) "rclock" 'Exec /usr/bin/X11/rclock -bg \#c0c0c0 \
             -geometry -1500-1500 &')

to my ~/.fvwm95/post.hook file I get the rclock in addition to all the
other buttons.  What I would like to do is to remove the other buttons
and then add the ones I want.  Is this possible using the post.hook
file?