On Thu, 28 May 1998, Ian Keith Setford wrote:
>Yo-
>
>I just got another machine which I would like to dual boot *grin* with
>Winblows so I can have fun playing StarCraft and Unreal.  I would like to
>get a 3dfx card.  Will linux care if the 3dfx card is installed?  I don't
>wish to use the 3dfx card in linux just the regular pci card I already
>have.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks.
>
>-Ian

Unless you have a kernel earlier than I think 2.0.32 you will not notice your
3DFX card. Some older kernels complain about an unknown PCI device at boot
time, which you might find annoying - besides that not even older kernels have
poroblems with 3DFX.
I've been running a dual boot (LINUX/windoz) for the sake of gaming for several
month now - using a VOODOO2 card now, a VOODOO1 at first. I never encountered
poroblems.

If you wish to use it with Linux, this is not a problem either, since both
chipsets are supported (GLIDE for Linux is available). Together with the Mesa
libraries (OpenGL clone) you can play things like GLQuake QuakeII.
It seems that the upcoming SIN will have a Linux port as well. Unreal does not
have a Linux port yet, however, there are efforts to make its developers create
one: http://www.voicenet.com/~shaitan/.

- --
Stone's Law:
        One man's "simple" is another man's "huh?"
- --
                                 Christian Zander
                                  *  web:  ishmael.ml.org/~zander
                                  *  email:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]