>From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thu May 28 12:07:59 1998
To: Curt Howland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Smail spam-prevention filter?
From: Jim Pick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28 May 1998 12:07:50 -0700

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_May_28_12:07:47_1998-1

Curt Howland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I obviously don't have my smail filter configured correctly,
> as last night I had to pull the ethernet plug from my Debian
> machine running smail to stop many thousands of spam emails
> using my machine as a remailer.
>
> My question is: Preventing incoming mail "To:" anything other
> than the local machine, and "From:" anything but the local
> machine would seem a standard form of security filter for
> smail.
>
> Does anyone know of such a standard rules entry?
>
> I don't know what list to send this to, if "security" is
> not a good place, I will try the "users" list.

Here's a good link:

http://maps.vix.com/tsi/ar-fix.html

It says:

  Smail Version 3

    Systems: Unix
    Info:    http://www.sbay.org/smail-faq.html

   smail version 3.2 has support to block unauthorized relay. This is
   enabled by defining the smtp_remote_allow parameter in your config
   file. Set it to the list of local IP address ranges from which
   unrestricted relay is allowed. All other hosts will be refused.

   Smail version 3.1 is vulnerable to relay. It also has some well-known
   security problems. Please upgrade to either version 3.2 or exim.

Cheers,

 - Jim

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_May_28_12:07:47_1998-1