On: 28 May 1998 21:27:31 -0000 lgunman  writes:

> Currently, when reading USENET news, I start up my ppp connection and
> read off of my ISP's news (NNTP) server.  But, there are some
> newsgroups that are specific to my school, maintained on my school's
> NNTP news server.  I would like to read these, without having to first
> ssh to my University account and read news.  As of now, this is the
> only way, though, because if I try to access the school's NNTP server
> from home, I am not allowed to connect (I have to connect from a
> University client, in otherwords).
>
> Is there a way around this?  Optimally, I'd like have a script that
> would call up my ISP, get the newsgroups I want from that server, then
> connect with my school's server, and get those messages.
>
> When I installed Debian 1.3.1, I had inn and innfeed installed, but
> I've never used these before, and don't really know where to
> start... but I believe I can use these to accomlish what I want?
>
> Any hints or suggestions would be thoroughly appriciated.

I use suck for fetching news and wrote a shell skript which can be
called with the name of the newsserver to connect to.  It assumes the
config files in a directory /etc/suck/<news-server> and uses the
/var/lib/suck/<news-server> for storing the messages temporary.  The
batch name for each server is identical to the server name and is sent
using rpost.  The correct configuration of the newsfeeds file is
important to prevent unneccessary sending of messages.

If you want to program this by yourself use the -dt, -dm, and -dd
option of suck.

Let me know if you are interested in details.

        Torsten