Somebody wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > QIC tapes (FTAPE) use the floppy disk controller and are formatted like
> > floppy disks with 'tracks' and 'sectors' and so are block replaceable.
> > This means that they CAN hold a random access file system just like disks,
> > only SLOWER.
>
> Don't be too sure. Most tape drives only allow to write appending to the
> *end* of
> any data already written, so even if random positioning is possible the
> device is
> fairly useless.

It's an (probably) unnecessary limitation somewhere in the system.

I was able to make a file system on a floppy tape (with mke2fs, I
believe).
When I tried to mount the file system, mount complained that the tape
wasn't a block device.

Given the mke2fs ran without complaining, it didn't see any problem with
treating the floppy tape as a block device.  I would guess that mke2fs
or
whatever library or system calls it uses incorrectly assume that a tape
is not a block device.

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay