Thanks Craig.
(BI should have learnt from the history.
(BNow I can read /etc as etcetera
(Bfrom the bottom of my heart.
(B
(BK.Hirano
(B
([EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
(B
(B>hiranokazunari wrote:
(B>
(B>
(B>
(B>>I understand /bin represents binaries,
(B>>/dev represents devices,
(B>>/lib represents libraries,
(B>>/mnt represents mount,
(B>>/opt represents option(?) etc...
(B>>
(B>>But I am wondering why the host-specific
(B>>configuration partition is called /etc?
(B>>
(B>>
(B>
(B>If you go back to very early versions of Unix, like 7th ed. (c. 1979) or
(B>earlier, you find that there's actually a lot of stuff in the /etc
(B>directory, not just conf files. It really was the "stuff that doesn't go
(B>anywhere else" directory, hence the name /etc. At least I assume that's
(B>how the name was devised.
(B>
(B>Craig
(B>
(B>
(B
(B
(B
(B--
(BTo UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Bwith a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]