I have installed debian 1.3.1 and I would like to use
emacs to read news groups but I have problem to configure
(nntp, gnus, sendmail, ?).

I have put the following in my .emacs file:
setenv NNTPSERVER=news.icm.edu.pl
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.icm.edu.pl"))

and also in file
/etc/nntpserver
news.icm.edu.pl

and in file
/etc/news/server
news.icm.edu.pl

but it does not work (It works under my old Linux distribution Slackware 3.2).

When I choose from the emacs menu Tools/Read_Net_News

I got the following message:

----Gnus: *Group* {nntp:mel222.sggw.waw.pl}

but it should be (according to my configuration):
----Gnus: *Group* {nntp:news.icm.edu.pl}
My nntp server is NOT mel222.sggw.waw.pl, is my hostname
but not nntp server.

Could someone please explain what might be going on ?
How to get nntp server working?

Thanks in advance,

Jan Krupa