-> I am trying to configure my debian 1.3.1 box to allow me to run X
-> programs from the root account when I am logged in as another user, this
-> is because the root account is locked so I have to 'su' to root, the
-> problem I am having is that before I 'su' to root I have to run xhost
-> <hostname>.  Is there anyway to have this done automatically or do I have
-> to enter it in manually?

hmmm maybe "ssh localhost -l root" would help; but you must have ssh
installed which is not default in the US afaik. And i wouldn't recommend
allowing remote logins of root even via ssh.

I anyway would advise doing "xhost [EMAIL PROTECTED]" which is more secure -
"xhost localhost" would allow ANYONE to connect afaik.

-> Also I have root's profile script set to export the DISPLAY environment
-> variable when I do a 'su -' but does it matter if this is set if I am not
-> in X but just using the console or telnet?  If it does then how can I get
-> it to only be set when I 'su -' from within X?

maybe the best way would be
1. use script for su'ing which whould do xhost and su
2. use script which would copy .Xauthority and setup DISPLAY in root's
shell;

--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, sysadmin at NETLAB+ Kosice, Slovakia
 BIC coord for *.sk; admin of netlab.irc.sk; co-admin of irc.felk.cvut.cz