Yesterday I upgraded two machines from bo to hamm. The first went well,
and the second was fine until I rebooted, then the network disappeared.

Since I had done the whole blinking upgrade across the network and had
therefor shoved several dozen megabytes into the NIC in the hours just
preceding the reboot, I'm skeptical that my network is gone owing to a
hardware failure.

Everything else is working. The machine is the company's mail server,
and it's doing its uucp connections on schedule. And I just dialed in to
get the stuff that's appended to this message.

The only thing that gave an error during the upgrade was parsing
boa.conf. Someone had removed a directory that was specified in that
file. I went in and fixed that up. I don't know if boa is working or not
because the network isn't. I just mention it because that's the only
error of any sort I noticed. The NIC is properly detected at bootup, and
the network is properly configured.

No errors are reported during the boot process. The only errors I found
in logs are samba's nmbd reporting that the network is not reachable.

There are surely still some libc5 packages on the machine, because I
didn't have a non-free tree available at the time of the upgrade. I had
to go through and fix that up manually on the other machine. Perhaps the
network on that machine didn't work until I did that and I just had no
reason to notice it. I'll be doing that soon.

In particular, util-linux gets held back by apt (as a dselect method)
because it wants to replace getty, which is marked essential. I had
to do that manually, and I haven't gotten that far yet on the second
machine. Could that be related?

Any input would be much appreciated.

The following is from a dialup session I just had with the machine in
question. It doesn't help me, but maybe one of you will see something
obvious.

Cheers,
 Pann

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /sbin/ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:C8:2E:AA:CC
          inet addr:192.168.1.7  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          Collisions:0
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ping -c1 localhost
PING localhost (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes

--- localhost ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 1.7/1.7/1.7 ms

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ping -c1 dogbert
PING dogbert.lignomat.com (192.168.1.7): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
ping: wrote dogbert.lignomat.com 64 chars, ret=-1

--- dogbert.lignomat.com ping statistics ---

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ping -c1 dilbert
PING dilbert.lignomat.com (192.168.1.11): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
ping: wrote dilbert.lignomat.com 64 chars, ret=-1

--- dilbert.lignomat.com ping statistics ---