On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 02:04:41AM -0700, Dan Hugo wrote:
> I am thinking about getting a CD-RW drive to archive things, and maybe
> even to maintain an up-to-date Debian CD set.
> Does anyone have any experience with these drives?

I have no experience with CD-RW, but do own a CD-R...

> Or, I could get a CD-R drive, about which there is much more info (I
> read through the CD-ROM/CD-writing HOWTOs, and a list of compatible
> drives, but it was mostly CD-R biased).

I have an internal SCSI Plextor PlexWriter 4/12 CD-R.  Works great,
first burn was perfect.  It was easy to setup and use, as far as
following the Linux CD-R Howto.  I'd say you really can't go wrong
with CD-R.

I know the CD-RW discs are significantly more expensive than plain old
CD-R.  I've seen CD-R discs given away for free with rebate deals and
such.  And CD-RW discs seem to run at over $15 a pop (US).

Whichever you decide on, R or RW, and if you go SCSI, make sure your
cable has the correct number of pins.  I got mine, realized the burner
was a 50 pin male, and my cable was a 68 pin male.  I had to just look
at my burner for a week while I waited on the order of my adapter.

Good luck!