On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 01:34:24PM -0700, Paul Marxhausen wrote:
> After reading through all the DOSEmu info, I'm sorta-kinda-nearly
> grasping this issue, but I still want to ask:
>
> I'll be converting a utility PC from MS-DOS over to Hamm soon,
> and will be running at least one DOS program under DOSEmu.
> I've already tested it and it's happy, if slow.
>
> I thought a handy way and safe way to migrate would be to
> take my existing DOS IDE drive (80 Mb), and make it the second
> drive in the system.  Another 80 Mb drive would become the main
> drive with Debian Linux installed.  (Yes, it'll fit.)
>
> I hope to be able to have two options:
> 1) have LILO give an option to boot either disk at startup, so
> we can have "real" pure MS-DOS if things go awry; and/or
> 2) use LREDIR or some other mechanism to have the whole second
> drive accessible as the DOSEMu drive.
>
> Now, am I right . . . is that second drive simply called "/dev/hda2"
> in things like the fstab?  I mean, when installing Debian, I've
> seen it make the main partition hda1 and the swap hda2 or hda6 . . .
> will that second drive appear in the Linux partitioning program?

No...
you can read the Hard Drive devcice numbers for IDE like:
/dev/hda1
a = physocal drive
1 = partition number
it goes like this:

/dev/hda = primary IDE controler Master drive
/dev/hdb = primary IDE controller Slave drive
/dev/hdc = secondary (if you have one) Master
so you probably want /dev/hdb1

> Am i on the right track here?  I suspect this is an obvious
> application that's been done often.

Well I have managed to stay wawy from DOS...not much there I want

-Steve

--
/* -- Stephen Carpenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> --- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>------------
*/