>> "JC" == Jimen Ching <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

JC> 1.  How do I set my hostname?  Everywhere the hostname should appear, the
JC> string "(none)" is placed there instead, no qoutes.

Check /etc/hostname.

It should be the hostname without the domain part (like "mybox".
Then in /etc/hosts you should have a line like

127.0.0.1       mybox.mynet.home mybox

JC> 2.  Two files, fstab and resolv.conf were not created.  I had to manually
JC> create these myself.  What did I do wrong that they weren't created?

fstab should be created after the base system has been created, I
believe. This is why you have tell which fs to mount where in the tree.

resolv.conf should be created if you answer the questions about
nameservers during installation.

JC> 3.  When I first got my system up, before installing a lot of optional
JC> package, the nfsd and mountd were started.  I do not remember it asking me
JC> whether I want these services started.  After I installed everything I
JC> wanted, it didn't start these services anymore.  nfsiod is still a process
JC> though.  Is this normal?

They are started in /etc/init.d/netstd_nfs, but only if you export
some directories in /etc/exports. Otherwise they are not needed.

JC> 4.  I get this error in my /var/log/xdm-errors

JC> System: `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -xkm
-m us -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp "> " -eml
"Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server" keymap/xfree86
compiled/xfree86.xkm'

JC> What is causing this?  How can I stop it from writing this to xdm-errors?

Don't know about these. Maybe some typo in the keymap file? Try the
xbase/xserver from slink.

JC> corner and it is sometimes a long distance to move the cursor.  How do I
JC> setup fvwm2 so I can use ctrl-[arrow] to move between the virtual screens?

Key Left  A C Scroll -100 0
Key Up    A C Scroll +0 -100
Key Right A C Scroll +100 +0
Key Down  A C Scroll +0 +100

Should do it. Be sure you don't use numlock, as it is another
keymodifier.

JC> I should mention that I'm using the XKB extension for my keymap handling.
JC> I was having problems with my delete and backspace key with the older
JC> version of Debian.  I thought maybe this new extension in XFree 3.2.2
JC> would help.  It didn't.  Or maybe I did something wrong?  I have the
JC> 101key keyboards.

This is most likely a result of the error you mention in 4.

JC> 6.  One more thing with fvwm2.  I added the following to .fvwm2/post.hook.

JC> PixmapPath /usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps

JC> But I still do not see any of the pixmaps on the popup menu.  How do I
JC> setup the configuration files so the pixmaps show up in the popup menus?

Maybe because the application don't specify a icon for the menu. I
have a miniicon for gv (Apps/Viewers/GV). If you also have it, then
everything is OK. Check /usr/doc/menu for infos how to provide your
own entries for the menu, in which you can enable miniicons.

Ciao,
        Martin