At 06:33 PM 12/17/02 -0500, Shawn Lamson wrote:
>Short answer yes it can be used withouth KDE; as to your particular
problem I don't know... have you tried sylpheed-claws as a mail agent?  It
is a lot lighter than say Evolution.

I have tried sylpheed-claws -- I've tried using it a few times, quite a bit
over the last week or so.

I do like sylpheed-claws, but it's not for me yet.  (I realize it's open
source and I should contribute.)

I'm using:

That version of Sylpheed doesn't seem to deal well with counting new
messages, and when I use the threaded view I seem to miss new messages.  I
need to figure out how to show messages in *received* order.

My biggest issue with it is the word wrapping, and it's partly that I want
it to be a mix of the best of all things, which it can't be.  (What I
really want is a graphical Mutt, I guess -- or Mutt crossed with an old
version of Eudora.)

For example, you have wrapping turned off so your mail is not wrapped.  You
can see the way it was quoted above with only one ">" (this mailer (old
Eudora in windows) will wrap when I resend).  When I'm on the road I use
Pine and I love the way ^J will re-wrap a quoted long line and place ">" at
the start of every newly wrapped line.

By default it wraps on input which is odd because (on my screen at least)
it opens a wide compose window yet only part of it is used.  Resizing has
no effect of where it wraps when composing -- if you resize smaller you can
type off into the right margin and not see what you are typing.

That also causes a weird effect when replying even when the original
message was wrapped sylpheed still sometimes will wrap again so it looks like:

  > so you see a line like this and then sylpheed wraps
  right here
  > so you get a wrapped word or two without "> ".

It gets put back correctly on send but it's hard to read the quoted text
when composing.

The other thing I haven't figured out is how to keep it from wrapping when
I don't want it to -- for example paste in a URL and it gets wrapped.  Not
very helpful for person receiving the mail.

Sorry, I'm not meaning to complain about Sylpheed -- it's my favorite
graphical mail client for Linux, so far.  And I'm very thankful for the
work that's going into it.

I'm always amazed how well plain old Pine works for me when on the road.
Maybe I just need to learn Mutt and forget about a graphical interface.  Or
run Eudora in Wine.

The *only* reason I have this windows machine still is because I haven't
found a replacement for Eudora 3.0 yet!  That's all I use it for, I have
three Debian and one SuSE machines under my desk right now (with a KVM) and
a laptop with Debian (where I use Pine to read my mail).

I also want to move to IMAP, but last I checked I had over 60,000 email
messages in Eudora with a number of folders with around 10,000 messages.  I
think I need to figure out better archiving before I move to IMAP.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]