On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 03:45:18PM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> heya
>
> looking at the script that's producing this (/etc/init.d/nviboot),
> it seems that the directory you want to look at is /var/tmp/vi.recover.
> anything in there?
>
>       sean

Ah-HA! Yes. There it was! Two files, named recover.a00396 and
vi.a00396 - no wonder the find didn't show anything. Just deleted
them, and ran the script by hand for a check. No annoying messages.
Thanks!

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 15:41:44 -0500, Narins, Josh wrote:
> Hi Pigeon,
>       Does your `find` find dot files?

(experiments) WHEEE!! Thanks for that. No, it doesn't. Not the problem
here, but might well be somewhere else in the future. Useful to know.
Whenever I've needed to find a dot file so far I've known what
directory to look in, so ls -a does the trick.

>       I use another vi-clone, vim, which saves the temporary files as
> .filename.swp
>       vimdiff (part of the vim package) is really quite stunning, and
> perhaps a reason to learn VI

Tell me more - in what way is it stunning?

My first ever contact with vi was on my first ever contact with Unix,
on a VAX 11/780. The choice was ed or vi. I used ed.

Now, on my Linux box, I still use ed for little changes and for things
where I want to retain the context of what I'm doing and not have it
wiped out by a full-screen editor; a basic customisation of jed for
small-to-medium jobs (that's what I'm in at the moment), and rhide for
coding, which is a Linux clone of the Borland Turbo C IDE - I love
that IDE. There's some dispute as to how 'free' it is, since it uses a
Linux port of the Borland Turbo Vision library whose 'free' status is
disputable, but I have a pukka copy of Turbo C anyway so no problem.

Thanks,

Pigeon