On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

> my bosses machine crashed this mornging, leaving his Xsession frozen,
> and no kernel panic message.
>
> Which log do I look in for this, or does a kernel panic get logged?
> how do i figure out what happened?

When X freezes, there's no a priori reason why anything should be logged.
The rest of the machine should be running normally, and the best course
of action is to telnet in through the network or a serial line and kill
the X session (using startx it'll be an xinit process).

On the other hand, kernel panics are different and may or may not be logged,
depending on whether it's safe. It will normally tell you if the disks
have not been synced (though I've only witnessed that on a VC, not in X),
in which case you might as well cycle the power.

Cheers,

--
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: +44 1908 653 739  Fax: +44 1908 655 151