Hi George,

I had the same problem. In my case I have noticed that the slave device on
the primary channel was detectes twice duriong boot-up. So I connected the
cd-rom to the secondary channel and everything works fine. You can check
with dmesg what it probes. Again, in my case it was and STILL IS

hda
hdb
hdb  <- instead of hdc! Is it a bug?
hdd

It never detects the master device on the secondary channel, thus my cdrom
is connected as a slave on the secondary( without any master devices on it
which contradicts to IDE specifications..) CDROM is accessible from linux
and dos.

I do not know what the problem is.

Regards,

ZORO