On Fri, Sep 18, 1998 at 09:56:49AM -0700, mjv wrote:
> That's funny, I just mounted the zip w/o the -t msdos, and it still mounted
> fine.
> Am I playing Russian Roulette by doing that?
>
> Also, I assume I can create a Linux fs on a zip disk - and I assume that since
> we can squeeze 1.6meg from a regular floppy, the same could be true with
> squeezing
> extra space from the Zip floppy. Anyone have any experience with this?
> I wish to create a backup disk for all the programs I download (the dos
> format
> truncates the names - and I'd rather store Linux files on a Linux file system)

You can squeeze more out of a floppy by doing a more efficient low-level
format (which divides the disk into little bits).  However since the Zip
disk is seen as a SCSI disk, I doubt you can get more than the ~100MB they
store.

You can repartition and reformat them (high level reformat) with a ext2
filesystem - I did this so that I can have /dev/sda1 rather than the silly
/dev/sda4!

Adrian

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution