On Sat, Sep 26, 1998 at 11:36:19AM -0500, Ed Cogburn wrote:

>       About the modprobe errors:
>
>       This doesn't have anything to do with xringd.  Its refering to various
> network protocols built as modules when you compiled your kernel.  In
> /etc/conf.modules or the newer location /etc/modutils/alias, make sure
> the following lines are uncommented:
>
>       alias net-pf-3 off
>       alias net-pf-4 off                      # IPX
>       alias net-pf-5 off                      # DDP / appletalk
>

>       If you *are* using IPX or Appletalk, then the modprobe error message
> really is an error message that is saying it can't find the requested
> module to load.
>

> --
> Ed C.

Ed,

        Thanks for the info. I do not have IPX or Appletalk. I don't know
what the pf-3 is but I went ahead and commented all three of them out. All I
have is TCP/IP via a dial-up account from my ISP. I do have slip installed
so I can use diald. But really don't know what else to do. I really didn't
compile the kernel, as just downloaded the 2.0.35 image and that is why I am
probably getting that error message.

        Thanks again for the help.

Mike Acklin