Jeff Noxon wrote:
On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 04:28:09PM -0400, dpk wrote:
> I have searched the Debian and Samba website for answers, as well as
> /usr/doc, and newsgroups for a resolution.
>
> I would like to use encrypted passwords, but not have to maintain a
> samba password file as well as /etc/passwd.  Is it possible to do this
> with Debian/samba?  If so, could someone point me in the right
> direction of sites and solutions I should research?

I do not believe this is currently possible.  Unix passwords are one type
of one-way hash, and Samba passwords are another.  It might be possible
someday when Debian supports PAM.

I guess a workaround would be a front-end passwd program that changes both
passwords.  I don't know if one exists.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are absolutely correct. Unix & Win(NT) use different hashes (unix uses crypt() which is what algorithm I don't know and LanManager uses ARC4, which stands for Apparently RC-4 I believe). There is a whole lot of effort being directed at having One True Login between Linux & NT. There are a lot more issues than simply verifying a password. If you don't care about NT Domains and just want to use encrypted passwords then there are solutions. I think someone out there has come up with a pam module which helps with this. The one thing you can't do is 'convert' your existing password file. You'll have to build up your samba password file (by getting the cleartext passwords and adding them) and from then on maintain the two files in tandem. I believe there are folks out there who've created 'passwd' binaries which update two files in sync. I don't know who, but I've read this on the samba-ntdom mailing list.

If you want to follow along in the discussion and progress you should susbcribe to the Samba NT-DOM mailing list. Check out   Mailing Lists for the how-to.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]