Hi there... I stumbled on the same problem and I am now running it with the
scipt in /etc/rc.boot/ipmasq disabled,
and a startup file similar to what you are using.
It seems to be the simplest way to run IP masq.
I ahaven't tried deciphering the script that uses /etc/ipmasq.conf to see
what it does different from th 2 simple lines that seem to work just fine.

I believe there is some fine line between setting up masqarading and
protecting the system from the outside world, as setup in
/etc/init.d/netbase spoofing section... I need to read some more and try to
figure out how these itnerellate to each other. I think i have spoofing
protection disabled on my machine; I commented out all the  "deny" lines :)

I hope some of this makes sense...helpful comments are always welcomed :)

Dimitri