On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, mwb wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, M.C. Vernon wrote:
> >     I have an HP Deskjet 670c printer - what line do I need to give
> > magicfilterconfig (the man pages don't seem to have such helpful
> > information)?
> >
> You'll need to get ghostscript from the slink distribution.  This has
> support for the 'generic' hpdj drivers, (which seams to be a better
> driver than the dj500 driver).  Set up your printer for a dj500, then
> edit the /etc/printcap file and dj500-filter file.  Create a
> hp670c-filter file that uses the hpdj driver with gs instead of the
> dj500 driver.

I have one of these printers too. If you don't want to mess with slink at
this stage, you can just tell magicfilterconfig that the printer is a
deskjet 550c. This seems to work OK for many purposes. It is also what the
printer manual suggests if you are using old DOS programs that don't
support newer printers (HP don't acknowledge the existence of Linux, of
course).

When you run magicfilterconfig it asks you for three names that it gives
the printer and then presents you with a list of available devices to
which you answer cdj550. That's it!

I did this last night and was amazed at how easy and trouble-free it was.
I wasted quite a bit if ink and paper sending different sorts of files to
the printer and seeing them all print out correctly. Having lpr do what I
expect is *so* comforting to an old SunOS user.  The print button in
things like xfig works too, now. Cool -- even windows users would be able
to use it.

<ramble>
Ah, if only scanners were as easy -- I feel a kernel compile lurking in
the offing -- many thanks are due to posters on this list for pointing me
in the right direction.......... Maybe once cheap scanners have been
around as long as chep inkjet printers we will have magicscannerconfig...
</ramble>

Hugh
Hugh C. Pumphrey, Dept. of -    | Tel. 0131-650-6026,Fax:0131-650-5780
Meteorology, Univ. of Edinburgh | Replace 0131 with +44-131 if outside U.K
EDINBURGH EH9 3JZ, Scotland     | Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]