Rob Weir wrote (on 20 Dec 2002 at 18:55):

> Ideally, you would have either used the Debian packages, or
> installed into /usr/local/X/ or something and used equivs to satisfy
> apt.  The first option is definitely superior though, especially
> since X 4.1 *is in woody*.

Thanks to Doug MacFarlane, Osamu Aoki, J. W. Dixon and Rob Weir for
great answers.

Just to clear up why I did what I did, which people understandably
wondered about: I needed 4.2, not 4.1 (at least, so I was told by a
guy with the same notebook). At the time I did it, 4.2 was not in
testing (this was a while ago; I have been very busy since then).

Now I'll try using of the Debianized 4.2 packages people indicated,
and I will read up on libc6 issues between woody and testing before
I decide which way to go.

You're a high-performance list, guys!

T.

--