On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, John Maheu wrote:

> Having just had a cable modem installed on my home machine I
> find I can't telnet/ftp to most machines. I can't ftp to
> ftp.debian.org. I know my domainname is not
> correct, and the dnslookup is causing the problem. How can I fix this?
> How do I change my domainname on a debian system?

To configure shaw properly and fully in debian you need to use the
dhcpc-beta packages. Edit /etc/dhclient.conf and put something like:

send host-name "csxxxxxx-x";

Where the CS bit is your 'CS' number, this will be the name the install
tech gave to your windows setup.

A bit ago shaw was having a trouble with their DNS, they had names that
reverse resolved but did not forward resolve. If you got such an IP then I
suggest you phone and complain! You can check this by doing something
like:
  host x.x.x.x.x
  host <the name the above returned>

They sould return each other.

The dhcpcd package does not seem to send the right host name and I
couldn't figure out how to fix it.. It does work but you get the wrong IP
range..

You don't need to change your debian machines domain name..

Jason