Title: Pre beginner

I am trying to install Debian Linux on a PC clone with a genuine Intel 166MMX processor, 64MB SDRAM, a Western Digital 2.5GB IDE hard drive, a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro PCI video card, and a generic NE2000 compatible NIC.  I created a 400 MB DOS 6.22 bootable partition and left the rest of the drive raw.  I downloaded all the files (via HTTP) from Debian that were specified in the download portion of the getting started guide.  When I run the install.bat from the DOS prompt Linux begins booting (uncompressing....), flashes some unreadable messages and then my computer reboots.  What am I doing wrong?

Manny