On 11 Dec, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> X is totally confusing me at the moment.  Or rather, how to get it all
> working, where are the good window managers, etc.

I had problems getting xbase configured, but my previous experience
with Red Hat meant I knew how to frig it. I have a security problem now
(X server is setuid root), but it doesn't matter where I am (I am the
only user). Still, I sympathise.

> I've about given up on KDE.  I have read a lot about KDE and how good it was;
> how many "great product" awards it is receiving, and wanted to install it as
> my WM.

I've been there. I used it for a few weeks, then realised that it
didn't suit my tastes. I found it almost as ugly as Windows. I've been
an avid window maker follower ever since (I came back to it at version
0.14.x, having played with it at version 0.5.x).

> I don't want prerelease (v1.1) software at this point (because of
> instability),

window maker is very stable on linux. I've never had any problems with
it. some earlier versions have crashed about once a month for me, but
0.20.3 has been perfect so far. it's got a very nice gui config app too.

the wmaker deb maintainer has just announced new ones on the wmaker
mailing list (they're for slink - I don't know if that's a problem with
earlier debian systems or not);

  http://master.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/wmaker/

> So, I thought I'd try Window Maker

go on...

> Maybe I'm expecting too much.  All I'm after is a good windowing system for my
> new Linux.  One that I'm not going to have to reboot to fix all the time

I've had wmaker uptimes of ~25 days, after which I've just logged it
out.

> Can I just get the include
> files for X, will that placate the compiles for KDE or Window Maker?

yes, it should get you part of the way there. I always compile wmaker
from source (always have done, even when I used Red Hat, as I like the
newest versions). I had problems getting all the required stuff on board
when I first installed debian, but it just came down to trial and error
with libraries and header files in dselect.

if I was in your position I'd try the wmaker debs at the above URL,
and if they don't work well on hamm/frozen/whatever, let me know and
I'll see if I can work out which .debs I installed to get wmaker to
compile smoothly (you need xpm, tiff, jpg libraries to get the most
out of it). it's very beautiful and extremely nice to use though.

--
Graham