Hi... I was trying to install WindowMaker 0.20.3 that I got from
www.windowmaker.org

In the INSTALL file, it said:
The following is required to build Window Maker:

-Basic Obvious Stuff
If  you will build Window Maker, make sure you have gcc (or some other
ANSI C compiler) and the X header files installed. Specially  for newbie
Linux users: you must install all X development packages and the gcc
suite. Otherwise you won't be able to build any X program, including
WindowMaker.

And then, further down:
- Debian Linux
If you want JPEG and TIFF support, make sure you have libtiff-dev and
libjpeg-dev

So I went ahead with the make anyway, got some problems, but installed
some packages to solve the problem. But now I get stuck at :
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../src  -g -O2 -c test.c
gcc -g -O2 -o test test.o -L. -lwraster   -lX11 -lm
ld: cannot open -lX11: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [test] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving Directory `/home/tunabear/WindowMaker-0.20.3/wrlib'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Alright... so I don't think I can build any X program at this point... but I
can't find any X header/development stuff I didn't install....can someone
tell me the packages?

Also, I can't find libtiff-dev and libjpeg-dev packages, so maybe my
problem is I need frozen/slink? If so, what's the best way to upgrade? At
this point, the way I would do it is to use ftp in dselect, point it to
slink, update the packages, and do the upgrades. Or maybe use apt-get
dselect-upgrade (because the last time I used dselect to try and do that,
it screwed up..)

I just did a search through the recent mail list archive, and there's
quite a few messages against upgrading to frozen/slink... (I'm tired of
reinstalling/fixing, so I'm asking before plunging blindly ahead :)
)

if I shouldn't upgrade, how does anyone use new stuff without waiting
weeks, or months for a new stable distribution?

thanks in advance again..