"Sibuyas Bombay" wrote:
  >Hello everyone !
  >  I've been dirtying my hands on how interactive shell programs like smailco
      >nfig,
  >bindconfig (those who ask the user for a choice and execute something for th
      >at
  >choice).
  >  They always start with that usual executable magic #!/bin/sh .  Does anyon
  >know of any documentation w/s can guide us how to write custom programs ?  M
  >concern is actually to write a program that will prompt a user 4 or 5 inputs
  >only, (pon, poff, elm, quit) then make it as her default login shell, that w
      >ay,
  >i dont give her a fully interactive shell (and a potential security hole for
  >my feline friend).
  >  Thanks a lot in advance.
  >Sib
  >
  >INXS: if not at all that busy, i really would like a template script, w/ onl
  >2 choices, a pointer on where/how do i start.

Make this script executable and make it the login shell (7th field of the line
in /etc/passwd); when it exits, the user will log out:

========================= begin =======================
#! /bin/sh
# Sample menu script
#

while true
do
        echo -n "

Here are your choices -

  1. Change your password
  2. See today's date
  3. Log off

Which do you want? "

        x=
        while [ -z "$x" ]
        do
                read x
        done

        echo

        case $x in
                1)
                        passwd
                        ;;
                2)
                        date
                        ;;
                3)
                        exit 0
                        ;;
                *)
                        echo -e "$x is a bad choice!\a"
                        ;;
        esac
done

--
Oliver Elphick                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     "For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD; thou art my trust