On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 10:57:21PM -0700, Robert Kerr wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to port a program from HP-UX to Linux, but I seem to be missing
> a header file.  This seems kind of strange to me, since the header file is
> present in the gcc directories on the HP's, but nowhere is it to be found
> on my LInux box.  The header file is generic.h.
> Where can I get this?

Hmmmm... can't help you with this one; not familiar with HP-UX.

> Second question.  Can someone enlighten me as to the difference between
> g++ and egcs, and what is compatible with what?

'g++' could be either the GNU gcc version or egcs.  I have gcc 2.7.2.3
installed as my C compiler, but egcs for C++ (this is Hamm):

sarcastro:~$ g++ --version
egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)
sarcastro:~$ gcc --version
2.7.2.3
sarcastro:~$ dpkg -l | egrep 'gcc|egcs'
ii  egcs-docs       2.90.29-0.6    Documentation for the egcs compilers (egcc,
ii  g++             2.90.29-0.6    The GNU (egcs) C++ compiler.
ii  gcc             2.7.2.3-4.8    The GNU C compiler.
ii  libstdc++2.8    2.90.29-0.6    The GNU stdc++ library (egcs version)

Egcs (pronounced 'eggs') is hosted by Cygnus and was started because of
historical concerns about gcc's slow pace of development and small, closed
group of developers.  Egcs _is_ gcc; it was forked off the gcc code, but
I'd imagine that for C++, at least, egcs has seen some serious changes.

The consensus seems to be that for C++, egcs offers much better
compatibility with the ISO standard and a greater push to incorporate
modern ideas in compiler design (the egcs/gcc backend is still years out
of date in some areas).  The way the gcc/egcs scenario will ideally work
is that egcs is the more advanced, experimental compiler, and features
from it are backmerged into gcc as they become stable.  It has yet to
be determined if this is workable.

miket