I just discovered why the netscape command no longer runs a separate version
of Netscape (which I wanted in order to prevent crashes triggered by one web
page from killing my main Netscape process displaying other web pages):

Instead of just tracking installed files and wrapping environment setup, the
Debian installer package for Netscape also _significantly_ changes how the
netscape command works--it uses the "-remote" option, whether you want it to
or not.

That might usually be a nice feature, but the installer doesn't give you any
way to get at the original command (without ignoring everything else in the
wrapper script).

More importantly, there is NO appropriate documentation of this change from
how the original program works.  There is no Debian.readme file (of changes
from how the standard Netscape distribution works).  There is no manual page.

(The package's Debian change log file does mention this "feature", but one
shouldn't have to look through a history of every change to piece together
information on the current state.)

Daniel