I wrote:
> Hrm, try apt-get install ftp;apt-get install ftpd.

Sorry, I was writing that from work and didn't check. Both ftp and in.ftpd
are still in netstd:

% dpkg -S /usr/bin/ftp;dpkg -S /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
netstd: /usr/bin/ftp
netstd: /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
%

If you are getting a connection refused, maybe you don't have in.ftp
enabled in /etc/inetd.conf or /etc/xinetd.conf (depending on if you use
inetd or xinetd respectively). Search for the line with the word "in.ftpd"
and make sure it doesn't have a # in front of it, if it does remove it and
do

/etc/init.d/netbase reload

(as root)

Hope that helps.

references: man services, man inetd.conf

--
Rafael Kitover
[EMAIL PROTECTED]