"Jeff Browning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've compiled a new Kernel with all the features and settings. But
> when I looked in /dev I couldn't  find "audio."

Think of /dev as a regular directory containing "pseudo symbolic
links" (the unix term is "special files") pointing to driver code
in the kernel. A new link doesn't magically appear simply because
there is something to point to - one needs to create it explicitly.
You use the 'mknod' command to do this.

You will need to provide mknod with the "major and minor device
numbers" by which the kernel knows the device. I don't have a
reference at hand, but try to see if not 'man mknod' produces
a pointer. Or else, there is a definitive listing somewhere in
the kernel source tree.

--
Henning Makholm
http://www.diku.dk/students/makholm