OK, I downloaded the Communicator 4.5 file, again.  I am using hamm.  I ran
dselect and the Netscape installation program.  The file was in /tmp.  I got
the same error message as below.  I then tried using, dpkg -i
netscape-unpacked.9955/
I got the following readout:

dpkg-split: error reading netscape-unpacked.9955/: Is a directory
dpkg: error processing netscape-unpacked.9955/ (--install):
          subprocess dpkg-split returned error exit status 2

Anyone know what is going on here?  I think I am on my 4th or 5th download and
who knows how many tries at installation.
Thanks,
Kent