The following is taken from debian install instructions

          4.7.  Advanced Power Management

          If your motherboard  provides Advanced Power  Management (APM),
          configure it  so that  power management is  controlled by  APM.
          Disable the doze, standby,  suspend, nap, and sleep  modes, and
          disable the  hard-disk power-down  timer. Linux  can take  over
          control of  these modes,  and  can do  a better  job of  power-
          management than  the BIOS.  The version of  the operating  sys-
          tem kernel on the installation floppies does  not, however, use
          APM, because we've  had reports of  one laptop system  crashing
          when the Linux APM driver is configured.  Once you've installed
          Linux, you can  install the kernel-source  package and build  a
          custom-configured version  of  the operating  system kernel  to
          enable APM and other features.

setterm should, among other things, set power saving mode for the console. try
setterm -h.