On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 07:23:56PM +0100, Paulussen Edmond wrote:
> Last week I installed Debian GNU/Linux 2.0
> Everything went (quite) well. I installed Linux, windowmanager, Netscape,
> connection with my ISP,... and got it working.
>
> Since yesterday I am unable to login. After login (with correct username &
> password) I get following error message:
>
> "login [128] unable to change tty '/dev/tty1' for user root
>  Unable to change tty /dev/tty1: illegal seek"
>
> I get the error message at every login (root, normal user)
>
> What is the problem?

I don't know.

> What have I done wrong?

Maybe nothing.

> What is the solution?

I can only say what I would try: Use a rescue floppy to boot from. Mount
your root partition and cd to the /dev directory. Look at the owner and
permissions of the tty1 psuedo terminal. Change the owner, group and
permissions of /dev/tty1 to reasonable settings.

An example after booting from rescue floppy.

Mount the root under /mnt
# mount -t ext2 /dev/your-root-patition
# cd /mnt/dev
# ls -l tty1