For people who want to read the debian mailing lists as a newgroup
because of conevenience of using the client (as opposed to bandwidth
concerns), it is pretty easy to set up a local news-server to do this.

Just get the inn package and the newsgate package.
Configure inn and add a group for each mailing list.
Then, add something similar to this in your .procmailrc:

# Mail for debian-devel-changes
:0 w
* ^From.*debian-devel-changes
| mail2news -nfoo.debian-devel-changes -S

# Mail for debian-devel
:0 w
* ^From.*debian-devel
| mail2news -nfoo.debian-devel -S

# Mail for debian-mentors
:0 w
* ^From.*debian-mentors
| mail2news -nfoo.debian-mentors -S

# etc, etc....

I am experimenting with this currently.  Although mutt has
great support for newsgroups, there are some things I like
better about slrn.  I also like that the news server keeps
all the messages archived for me without me having to hassle
with it in the mailing list mailboxes.

Note that this is a one-way newsgroup (read-only), but you can
set it up so that postings to the group are forwarded to
the mailing list.

-Mitch