I wanted to recompile the Kernel and leave all the default settings which
were used to produce the stock hamm 2.0.34 kernel in. There are some options
which I don't use, some which aren't in there and a recompile for my CPU which
is not a 386 wouldn't hurt either I thought.

So I installed the kernel source tree, made a backup copy of .config and did a
make mrproper. Then when I wanted to set the options I put the saved .config
file back in place and tried to load it. This never worked, neither in make
menuconfig nor in make xconfig.

Can anybody tell me what is going on and how I can setup the kernel with the
"stock hamm kernel" settings right in place?