<<Corporations are owned by shareholders.  It is a democracy.  How do you
trade shares, money?  Who gets how many?  What happens when BillyG owns
50.1%, or pick your favorite aspiring businessman?

L8r -- Greg.>>

It's possible to have a privately-held corporation, in which the board of
trustees and perhaps a few others hold the stock. The company I work for
is organized this way - it gives the advantages of a corporation without
the possibility of hostile take-overs and other nastities* of public
trading. I would think those who are "in charge" of the project (however
loosely that term applies) could just as well be the shareholders and
board of trustees. There would never be any necessity that they hand over
control to anyone at any time.

Of course, when money gets involved, harmony and brotherhood are a bit
more fleeting.

But I think this idea of a single business corporation to represent the
project, as with RedHat, is misguided. The beauty of the Debian project
is that it is a volunteer organization. Let's keep it that way. I am all
for a for-profit business forming as a value-added seller of Debian
products. Such a business could focus on pre-installations, packaging and
marketing, and user support. I would think a very successful business
could be built on such a model, and there would be no necessary control
flowing either way between said business and the Debian organization. The
Debian community would control the software, such a business (and there
could be many of them) would control its own marketing, packaging,
support program, etc.
* as opposed to "niceties".

[EMAIL PROTECTED]