> David Webster wrote:
> >
> > Well Windows and OS/2 don't seem to have a problem with letting you
> > configure your sound stuff right up front.  How hard is it to add a
> > sound item to modconf screen used in in the "Drivers Configuration"
> > phase of the install?.  Afterall, these drivers are all modules and each
> > could have it's own documentation for configuring io, irq, dma, etc...
> > if need be.  We seem to have no trouble putting dozens of ethernet card
> > configs in the "net" option.  What makes sound so different?

I disagree with this statement. Installing support for a soundblaster awe32
card on NT is not done up-front. It has to be done after the system is
installed and the correct drivers have been located on the internet. The NT
boot disks do not have any support for sound cards. The NT CDROM only has a
limited number of drivers available. I have to download drivers for my video
card, sound card, printer and zip drive and install these manually after
completing the initial installation. These drivers are not found on the
Microsoft site either.

At least with hamm I have everything on a single CDROM and don't require to
download drivers/modules/kernels. The only real pain is re-linking the kernel
first off.

You can guess which system I find easier to install.