*- On 23 Feb, Pollywog wrote about "rawrite question"
> Can I avoid using rawrite (I do not have a DOS system) if I already have one
> machine running Linux?  Can I use that machine to make a set of Debian install
> floppies?
>

>From
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current/install.txt

5.10.1. Writing Disk Images From a Linux or Unix System

     To write the floppy disk image files to the floppy disks, you will
     probably need root access to the system. Place a good, blank floppy in
     the floppy drive. Next, use the command
          dd if=<file> of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 conv=sync ; sync
     where <file> is one of the floppy disk image files. `/dev/fd0' is a
     commonly used name of the floppy disk device, it may be different on
     your workstation (on Solaris, it is `/dev/fd/0'). The command may
     return to the prompt before Unix has finished writing the floppy disk,
     so look for the disk-in-use light on the floppy drive and be sure that
     the light is out and the disk has stopped revolving before you remove
     it from the drive. On some systems, you'll have to run a command to
     eject the floppy from the drive (on Solaris, use `eject', see the
     manual page).

     Some systems attempt to automatically mount a floppy disk when you
     place it in the drive. You might have to disable this feature before
     the workstation will allow you to write a floppy in _raw mode_.
     Unfortunately, how to accomplish this will vary based on your
     operating system. On Solaris, make sure `vold' isn't running. On other
     systems, ask your system administrator.

--
Brian
                                                           - unknown

Mechanical Engineering                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]