> I have tried several ways of istalling debian, I have formatted my disk
> with BIOS, with fdisk, with fips.  I am getting an error message that
> repeats its self:
>
> had: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x41 { DriveStatusError }

A few weeks ago I started getting this error. At first it only appeared
intermittently, but over a period of a few days things became worse, with
serious corruptions of the file system. There was a point reached where the
hard disk was totally unusable and had to be replaced. Initially only a few
bad blocks were reported when running badblock, but a point was reached where
something like 50% of the blocks were bad and then the system just refused to
boot. A new hard disk fixed all of the problems.

this error is shown on their systems during boot up with no ill-effects. It
seems that this error is most likely to be reported during system start-up.
Some times just pressing the reset button and allowing the system to reboot
seems to make the problem go away for a while.

If you have another hard disk available I would try using it.

Regrds ...