I don't think Debian has to be the number one distribution in order to
be successful. Any growth in Linux use, no matter what the distribution,
is good for the whole community.
It is important to understand the developer/user relationship is, or
should, be different in a volunteer structure than that of a commercial
one like Redhat.  It is not necessary for Redhat's success for users to
understand or affirm Gnu ideology.  I think it is much more important,
and much more likely, for Debian to be into  the Gnu/Linux thing. Debian
should cultivate that philosophical connection with all its users to
strengthen the sense of community.  The response I received, to a
suggestion that Debian go after more of the commercial sector by
developing web business tools, several months ago of go do it yourself
says in essence if you're not a developer go F yourself is not helpful
to this purpose.

You are right, Debian could probably use some improvement in the
marketing area.  The sense I have is that most Debian developers are a
little paranoid about losing power to a "marketing division". Their fear
and suspicion are not without good reason.  Though a  few dedicated
marketing people  might be a good idea.

I think the most important thing is to decide whether you want to
establish a traditional Seller/ buyer relationship with users or more
fully cultivate a sense of community.  Neither of these will guarantee
being the number one distribution, but that is not the only measure of
success.  However Debian must think more strategically to maintain its
longterm sustainablity and growth

One last thing I think it is unfortunate that Debian is know as the
geekiest distribution of a geek os.  I have no CS backround but, I
downloaded 0.93 from the net and have used Debian ever since, except the
time when my ex girlfriend took my computer.  I have never had a serious
problem.  Well my current install is pretty hacked but that's another
story