Subject: Re: Debian and Redhat - are most linux users missing the point?
        Date: Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 01:47:38PM +1100

Quoting Brian May([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you write:
> >>I think dselect, especially in
> >>combination with the apt access method, is terrific - it just takes some
> >>time upfront to get used to it.
> >
> >Many people switching to Linux from the 'Other ' OS may equate spending time
> >to learn an install package, with difficulty of use and/or other nameless
> >difficulties.
>

> Just my two cents:
>
> I find dselect annoying to use simply because there are so many packages
> to install. You keep scrolling down and down through the list and loose
> all perspective as to what order they appear in, what the hierarchy
> of the sections is, and how far to the bottom of the list.

In addition to a quirk I found today.  I did an apt-get update on
potato.  As expected there some dependicy errors after a 40 Meg
upgrade.  So, no problem, I'll go to dselect to work them out.  I
select the 2.2.1-1 kernel source while I was there. Select then
got the kernel source and about 6-8 other libs I hadn't asked for.

It seem that dselect and apt-get must use two different Package lists.
I would have expected them to use the same one as they both use dpkg.

I 'thought' I was beginning to finally get a handle on dselect but
this threw me off again.

--
There are two ways to write error-free programs.  Only the third one works.
Wayne T. Topa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>