> Hello.
>
>  There are 5 SCSI disks happily running at sda - sde.  The 6th
> disk is accepted as /dev/sdf, as the kernel output after lilo
> says.  But fdisk /dev/sdf fails with "Unable to open /dev/sdf".
> strace fdisk /dev/sdf gives
>
>    open("/dev/sdf", O_RDWR)                = -1 ENXIO (Device not configured)
>    open("/dev/sdf", O_RDONLY)              = -1 ENXIO (Device not configured)
>
>  What is missing here?  Other details follow, thank you.
>
>      Andreas Wehler

> Debian 2.0
> # uname -a
> Linux classix 2.0.34 #3 Thu Jan 14 10:38:59 CET 1999 i686 unknown
>

> # cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00   (-------------> sda)
>   Vendor: IBM      Model: DDRS-39130W      Rev: S92A
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00   (-------------> sdb)
>   Vendor: IBM      Model: DDRS-39130W      Rev: S92A
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00   (-------------> sdc)
>   Vendor: IBM      Model: DDRS-39130W      Rev: S92A
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: HP       Model: C1533A           Rev: A708
>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-ROM CD-532S   Rev: 1.0A
>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: YAMAHA   Model: CRW4260          Rev: 1.0j
>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00   (-------------> sdd)
>   Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST19171N         Rev: 0024
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00   (-------------> sde)
>   Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST19171N         Rev: 0024
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00   (-------------> sdf)
>   Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST39140N         Rev: 1281
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

You've probably already checked it, but I have often exceeded
acceptable scsi cable lengths with unusual results (eg, my tape drive
would mistakenly think it had reached an end of tape).
These acceptable lengths can be seen at
    http://www.scsita.org/terms.html
When I let a scanner at the end of a scsi chain do termination rather
than attaching a terminator plug, I would have problems on 3 meters of
scsi-I devices.

My biggest problem has been with Ultra-Scsi (all Ultra2 would work wonderfully,
but Ultra is dangerous).  I had four devices on an Adaptec 2940UW,
with a cable length of about 1.4 meters.  Such a short length caused
problems I never saw until weeks had passed and so many files had been ruined
that I needed to reinstall Debian Linux.

Even if you don't run Ultra scsi, if you run fast scsi,
the recommendation as I recall was no more than 3 meters
(though another source indicated 6 meters, and one cable manufacturer
told me their cables would give me 9 meters).

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,         Fairfax, Virginia, USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson

"A poor man associating with a rich man will soon be too poor
to buy even a pair of breeches."                   --Chinese Proverb