On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Hogland, Thomas E. wrote:

> Am getting ready to reinstall onto my shiny empty 6G drive in a Compaq
> Presario 4840, and would like to avoid the only problem I had last time -
> the sound wouldn't work. No playing CD's :-( It auto-recognized the ATI Rage
> Pro AGP, the Compaq DVD, everything, but the sound didn't function at all,
> only the PC-speaker.
>
> I tried configuring a custom kernel with SB16 - nothing. Tried using the ESS
> driver instead - nothing. No errors, just doesn't work.
Try the ALSA drivers. See the documentation that comes with the drivers. I
was able to get mine to work but it is not working anymore after I played
around with the new kernels.
Daniel J. Mashao
Electrical Engineering                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Cape Town                     http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel
Rondebosch, 7700, S. Africa         (w) 27+21+650 2816  (h) 27+21+705 8469