On 28-Mar-99 Guido A.J. Stevens wrote:
> George Bonser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> I wish I could find that "Heinz Ketchup" article again. It was Red
>> Hat's president saying that their #1 mission is to make Linux=Red
>> Hat. If you send someone out to get Linux, he wants to be 99% sure
>> they are going to come back with a Red Hat box.
>
> http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/04-03/young.html

A fascinating article. Somewhat mischievously, I extract the following
from it:

  "Heinz has 80% of the ketchup market because they have been able to
   define the taste of ketchup in the mind of ketchup consumers. Now
   the Heinz Ketchup brand is so effective that as consumers we think that
   ketchup that will not come out of the bottle is somehow better
   than ketchup that pours easily!

   This was Red Hat's opportunity ... to help define, in the minds of
   our customers, what an operating system can be."

One feels that the parallel with Heinz should not be taken too literally.

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28-Mar-99                                       Time: 15:45:30