> bruce writes:
> > Because I know that Eric is a firearms enthusiast, for my own protection,
> > I feel the best strategy is for me to publicize the threat widely.
>
> And quotes:
> > Damn straight I took it personally.  And if you ever again behave like
> > that kind of disruptive asshole in public, insult me, and jeopardize
> > the interests of our entire tribe, I'll take it just as personally --
> > and I will find a way to make you regret it.  Watch your step.
>
> While this is certainly objectionable, it is not a threat of violence.
> Notifying the police is totally unjustified.

True.  And however objectionable it may be it was at least private.  Now
we have notified not only the entire debian list of the scraggly side of
two of our most prominent figures, but also the police as well?  What
happens when the press latches onto this one?  Will we end up being looked
at as a crazed bunch of high-tech Montana Freeman?  When the leader or
representative of a group is stigmatized as a dangerous gun nut this rubs
off on the rest of the group, so please be careful what you say.

And both you and Eric should know better than to assume that anything you
say will remain private for long.  You both have movie star status in
software circles: more people know your names than don't.  I suggest to
both of you that you refrain from writing *anything* as inflammatory as
either of the messages in your latest exchange, public or private.

Britton