Tom Allison wrote:
I would like to have both Stable and Testing available for install.

But I don't want to have packages removed because they are not in Testing.

I originally started with preferences levels of
Stable: 600
Testing: 601

but packages like junior-programming are slated for removal.
I was running dist-upgrade if it makes a difference.

I would like to not remove anything if possible.

Is junior-programming being replaced by another package?

I know it is just an example, but junior-programming is a metapackage which doesn't actually include anything and is just there to have dependencies like the 'kde' or 'gnome' packages. It's removal is meaningless, and by itself nothing to worry about.