On Mon, 6 Jan 2003 15:31:24 -0500,
Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

> -- Jamin W. Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> (on Monday, 06 January 2003, 01:57 PM -0600):
> > On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 12:42:28PM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> >
> > > What dvd playing software are other debian users using?
> > > anybody encounter any of these problems/deficiences? If so,
> > > were you able to correct them? how?

These are all the DVD players I know of: MPlayer, Xine, VLC and
Ogle. Among them, MPlayer appears to be the most robust. If all
you want is watch the movie, then MPlayer is the best choice. If
you want the fancy stuff like menus and an easy way to watch the
bonus features, Xine is the more user-friendly choice. VLC

> > I tend to use Ogle, but Xine is nice too.
> >
> > I get a bit of a chop with DVD playback on one of my systems,
> > but I suspect that it is because the CPU is only a PIII 600.
> > I have another system with the same DVD drive that plays
> > smoothly (AMD K7 1Ghz).
> >
> > Are you running KDE/Gnome or a simple window manager?  Also,
> > are you using the stock nv driver or the binary nvidia
> > driver?
>
> Okay, I've got my machine back up, and I had listed the video
> card incorrectly -- it's an S3 SuperSavage series, and I have X
> configured to use the savage driver.

FUD: This might be your problem. There's a known bug with some
Savage cards when you use xv.

[...]

> I discovered that Xine worked with the Xshm video mode, but it,
> too, was choppy. I had trouble getting ogle to work in gui
> mode, so I compiled and installed by hand, and that worked. The
> video is still choppy, but less so than when I used the debian
> package (wierd).

Do you have MTRR enabled in the kernel? (Don't ask me why. I got
this tip from lurking in the xine list.) With such a powerful CPU
as you described in your original post, you might just manage
smooth DVD playback using xshm. It's actually the safer
choice. If xv works, then so should xshm.

> I'm thinking I might need to spring for a better video card, or
> at least one with plenty of memory for itself.

If all you want is a pleasurable movie experience, I've only
heard good things about Matrox cards. (The 3D is another matter.)